History - The Noughties


Ulster Sevens Kings

Taking part in the Ulster Seven a side championship for the very first time Latton made light of their inexperience at this level and playing a brand of fast, fluent football they threw the form book out the window to take the title outright, showing even a greater sense of adventure when it came to the sudden death part of the series. Latton served notice of their intent in the early stages running up very impressive scores in the preliminary round games in Group B where they started with a 2-10 to 1-5 victory over Scotstown but at that stage they were only warming to their task and they went on to inflict one of the heaviest defeats of the day on any club when they blitzed Aghaloo by 10-4 to 1-3 for a result that put them in the quarter finals. In the quarter finals they came through against Loup in a close game and in their semi final it was another close call with just one point in it at the death to set up the classic final, the first timers against the reigning champions.
A tendency to leak goals looked to be the factor that would undo a lot of good work by Latton in the final but they stuck manfully to the task and the ability of such as Kevin Hughes and Finbarr Fitzpatrick to strike points from a variety of distances and angles saw them edge the result with just two points to spare.
The overall results were as follows:

Latton 3-13 Loup 3-7
Bryansford 5-8 Clonoe 1-10
Glen 1-12 Clonduff 1-13
Clan na Gael 4-10 Omagh 2-11
Latton 3-11 Clonduff 3-10
Clan an Gael 8-7 Bryansford 3-8
Latton 3-20 Clan na Gael 7-6.

Winning Panel: Hughie Lennon, Owen Lennon, Kevin Hughes (Capt.), Dermot O'Brien, Francis Coyle, Hugh McElroy, Martin Duffy, Gerry Connolly (Team Manager), Tony McGorman (Asst.) Finbarr Fitzpatrick, John O'Brien, Noel Coyle, Ruairi Ward



Reserve League Finalists

In the end Clontibret possessed that little bit too much fire power up front for Latton in this very keenly contested Michael Kellett Cup final between two evenly match sides in Gavan Duffy Park, Monaghan, on Monday 28th October.

Clontibret got off to a great start and dominated for most of the first quarter but Latton finished the half strongly and could well have been sitting on a substantial lead at half-time instead of level at three points apiece. Part of the reason for that situation was a double penalty save by Paul McElroy just before half-time.
He was adjudged to have moved off his line when he blocked Francis Ward’s initial attempt with the referee ordering the penalty to be re-taken but McElroy was up to the ask again to deny Latton a goal at that crucial stage. Half-time score, Clontibret 0-3, Latton 0-3. In the second half Clontibret upped their game significantly with Vincent and Martin Corey causing Latton a lot of problems up front while Darren Mulligan, Gareth Sullivan and Shane Magennis were all seen to the fore.
Latton introduced Brendan Lennon at the start of the second half and he contributed a couple of good points but Brian Mullins goal for Clontibret ten minutes into the second period was a crucial strike. Latton to their credit battled to the finish but their cause wasn’t helped when they had Kieran Lennon sent off when he incurred a straight red card for a striking offence.

LATTON: Mark Hughes, Stephen McCabe, Alan McEntee, Michael Duffy, Paul Fitzpatrick, Dermot O’Brien, Edmund Lennon, Aidan Farmer, Francis Ward 0-1, Niall Traynor, Seamus Coyle, Kris McEntee, Martin O’Brien 0-1, Ciaran Lennon 0-2, James Connolly 0-1. Sub: Brendan Lennon 0-2.
CLONTIBRET: Paul McElroy, Sean McSkeane, Shane Magennis, Brian MArdle, Brendan Og Magennis, Declan Mone, Paraic Duffy, Cathal Carragher, Kevin Gormley 0-1, Gareth Sullivan 0-1, Vincent Corey 0-2, Damien Mone 0-2, Brian Mullen 1-1, Martin Corey, Mark Rooney 0-1. Subs: Darren Mulligan 0-1, Paul McGuigan.
Referee: P. Martin (Carrickmacross).



Monaghan Club of the Year

Latton were named as Club of the year at CountyConvention but also picked up the prestigious AIB Club award.
“Club is Family” is the motto of the AIB and their involvement in the club scene from their sponsorship of the club championships to this scheme that rewards excellence in how clubs conduct their affairs.

Latton as Monaghan winners are living proof of that motto as this club has made itself central to the wider community from the provision of structures and facilities for the development and playing of the games, both football and hurling, to the provision of amenities for the well being of the community in general and always with the view of keeping the O’Rahilly’s club at the heart of the matter.
The AIB scheme is based on a number of elements from the structures that the club has in place to over see its affairs, the development plans that it has both for the games and the infra structure needed for this and its involvement in the wider community and Latton came out tops in the county.
The submissions are first of all scrutinised by the committee specially set up to over see the scheme and then passed to the provincial councils for verification and comment and only then is a decision made. Latton themselves had a history making year in 2003 and it is fitting that they should collect a club award after such a season.
They were defeated in the final of the senior championship but rallied to made a major breakthrough by taking the senior league title for the first time ever, defeating Clontibret in a very close final in Scotstown. Later they added the O’Duffy Cup which saw the trophy that commemorates one of their and the county’s greatest exponents of the game, Vincent O’Duffy, come to familiar territory, his birthplace of Latton.


2003 Reserve Double Winners


A stronger Latton team had little difficulty in lifting the Michael Kellett at the expense of Clontibret in this sporting and well contested game at Drumhowan.
A goal by Sean McKenna in the 15th minute gave Latton a firm foothold in this game and with Hughie McElroy slotting over a succession iof frees they were always in control. Latton led at half time by 1-4 to 0-2 and although Clontibret did not score in the second half the game as a contest was much closer than that.
Latton: Sean Farmer, Paul Fitzpatrick, Ruairi Ward, Hugh Lennon, Karl Herron, Dermot OBrien, Francis Coyle, Brian Coyle 0-1, Aidan Farmer, Edmund Lennon, Martin OBrien, Patrick Shannon, Sean McKenna 1-1, Hugh McElroy 0-5, Brendan Lennon 0-2. Subs used: Alan mcEntee, Stephen McCabe, Ken Farmer, Patrick Conlon, Michael Duffy.
Clontibret: Darren Rooney, Eoin Greenan, Shane Magennis, Brian McArdle, Aidan Leonard 0-1, Brian Morgan, Fergal McGuigan, Jonathan McGuigan, Aidan Kerr, Brian Mullen, Kevin Gormley, Brendan Og Magennis, Mark Rooney, Darren Mulligan 0-1, Daithi McKeown. Subs used: Padraig Duffy, Brian McArdle, Paul McGuigan.
Referee: P Murphy (Sean McDermotts)


2003 Reserve Championship Winners

The Vincent O’Duffy Cup is in familiar territory Latton’s two points victory over Inniskeen in this competitive and highly entertaining final in Aughnamullen on Sunday 7th December, the win seeing Latton taking the cup for the very first time.
It is fitting that Latton should win this particular trophy this year as it commemorates one of their’s and the county’s greatest sons, the late Vincent O’Duffy or “Vincey Duffy” as he was colloquially referred to and particularly as this year saw the 50th anniversary of the untimely death of the late Vincent O’Duffy who passed to his eternal reward on July 15th 1953. His brother Frank O’Duffy was present at the game and was involved in the presentation of the cup to the Latton captain Kieran Lennon.
Early in the match Latton looked set for victory and probably could have had the result wrapped up by the half-way stage except for a few serious missed opportunities in the first half. Latton led at half-time by three points, 1-5 to 1-2 and extended that lead to seven points within two minutes of the restart and looked like pulling away. Inniskeen to their credit dug deep at this stage and fashioned a great fight back towards the end of the third-quarter and right up to the final minutes but they just could not find a way through a stubborn Latton full back line for the second goal that they needed to turn the game around completely.
Latton were well served throughout by their full back line of Paul Fitzpatrick, Edmund Lennon and Michael Duffy, a trio that soaked up alot of Inniskeen pressure particularly in the second half. Ciaran Lennon and Niall Traynor worked hard in the half back line while Francis Ward beavered away in midfield. Up front most of the plaudits went to Hughie McElroy and he got good support from Brendan Lennon and his brother Brian McElroy. For Inniskeen David McGahan was a key player in the turnaround that they engineered in the second half, Paul Meegan was always in the thick of the action and Roman Meegan’s finishing was central to their cause. Fergal Duffy at full forward was always dangerous throughout and but for some strong defending by Latton he could have had a greater impact.
Latton: Alan McEntee, Paul Fitzpatrick, Edmund Lennon, Michael Duffy, Kris McEntee, Kieran Lennon, Niall Traynor, Aidan Farmer 0-1, Francis Ward, Patrick Shannon, Martin O’Brien 0-1, Karl Conlon, Brian McElroy 1-0, Hugh McElroy 1-5, Brendan Lennon 0-1. Subs: Bernard O’Brien for K Conlon.
Inniskeen: Martin Shevlin, Seamus Loftus, Noel McGahan, Andrew Meegan, JJ Smyth, Michael Fitzpatrick, Stephen Callan, David McGahan, Paudge McKenna, Fergal McSkeane, Paul Meegan 0-3, Martin Callan, Ronan Meegan 0-4, Fergal Duffy 1-1, Niall Lennon. Subs used: Michael Lennon 0-1, Oisin Loftus, Pierse McSkeane.
Referee: H McKenna (Monaghan Harps)


2003 Senior League Winners





Senior League Winners





County Senior Champions

Latton 0-14 Magheracloone 0-10

At last…A most memorable year which saw Latton bridge a 75 year gap of Monaghan Senior Championship victories, a truly unforgettable achievement which saw Captain Ruairi Ward finally accept the Mick Duffy Cup. Latton produced a cracking second half display to overcome defending champions Magheracloone in an entertaining Monaghan SFC decider at Clones.
The challengers weren’t at their best in the opening moiety and, propelled forward by county stars Tom and Damien Freeman, the match favourites eased their way into a 0-8 to 0-6 interval lead.
Latton kept nipping away at the heels of the title-holders though and despite shooting four wides at the start of the second half looked increasingly like winners-elect.
A fine point by man of the match Bernard O’Brien ease Latton nerves though and with Eoin Lennon in dominant form in the middle of the field, Latton were in pole position even if the sides were tied at 0-7 apiece entering the final quarter.
Latton left their best wine ’till last though and four unanswered points had Magheracloone on the rack and the defending champions’ misery was completed when Damien Freeman was dismissed for a second yellow card offence and a missed penalty by ’keeper Shane Duffy whose shot came off the crossbar.
Teams and Scorers;
Latton - S Farmer, H Lennon, R Ward, Edmund Lennon, S Fitzpatrick, F Coyle, D O’Brien, Eoin Lennon, A Farmer, O Duffy, 0-4 F Fitzpatrick, N Coyle, B O’Brien 0-7, H McElroy 0-2, K Hughes. Subs: P Shannon 0-1 for K Hughes, J O’Brien for H Lennon
Magheracloone - S Duffy 0-2, P Farnan, J Mcmahon, M Jones, G McCaul, J Ward, N Tuite, F Doogan, C McCaul, F Kindlon, P Jones 0-1, K Gilsenan, P Finnegan, D Freeman 0-2, T Freeman 0-5. Subs: P Tuite for P Franan, P Lambe for F Kindlon, F Jones for C McCaul, D Kindlon for M Jones Referee - D McQuillan (Castleblayney)


2005 Latton in Ulster

Latton 1-7 Cavan Gaels 0-12
Cavan Gaels’ greater experience and potency in front of goal proved decisive in their win over Monaghan champions Latton at Enniskillen. Latton were given a lesson in finishing by their opponents for whom county attacker Seanie
was in sparkling form.
In contrast the match underdogs were extremely wasteful in front of goal and their 12 wides tally spoke volumes for their profligacy. The Gaels notched just five wides and their ability to record some timely long-range points and counter attack with venom proved very important.
With the winners’ Nicholas Walsh doing a fine job in countering the aerial threat on Eoin Lennon, the Gaels enjoyed a fair degree of possession in the middle third of the pitch and the forwards profited accordingly. Johnston and Cormac Nelligan were the scorers-in chief for the Cavan men with six points and four points respectively. The winners-elect led by 0-8 to 0-3 by half-time and continued where they left off to consolidate their lead to a seven point margin, 0-11 to 0-4, with eight minutes left to play.
However Latton finished with a flourish and a goal by Noel Coyle and a point from sub. John O’Brien set up a grandstand finish. But some poor wides by Latton thereafter and a point by the Gaels’ sub Dominic Reilly left the Cavan men on their way to a last four meeting with
champions Bellaghy.

2005 - Off the field

Having achieved their Championship goal the club immediately embarked on major development of their facilities at O’Rahilly Park. Pitch work saw our adult playing grounds extend to full size along with facilitating substantial spectator accommodation and boundary fencing making O’Rahilly park one of the tops in both county & province. Great credit is due to all involved, particularly for the huge voluntary effort of a number of dedicated members in making the works carried out very cost effective.



Senior League Winners




Controversial Senior League Semi-Final

Plans to have the senior football league completed before Christmas that year were put dramatically on hold after the semi final between Latton and Magheracloone was abandoned in the 18th minute of the second half following an ugly melée that involved players from both sides.
The game was being played under lights in Corduff and was a niggly affair from the start but there was little to indicate the dramatic turn of events that unfolded. Latton led at half time b y 1-4 to 0-4, James Connolly getting the goal in the 11th minute. By the half way stage Latton had been reduced to 14 players when Ciaran Lennon was dismissed on a second yellow card two minutes into stoppage time. A second goal by Hugh McElroy six minutes into the second half put Latton five points in front with Tomas Freeman reducing the deficit to four a minute later.
The heated nature of the exchanges continued with both sides reduced numerically in the 13th minute when Edmund Lennon, Latton and Damien Freeman, Magheracloone, were both dismissed following another incident and it was when these players were leaving the field that the violence erupted. Referee Darren McQuillan abandoned the game four minutes later when the score stood at Latton 2-4 Magheracloone 0-6.
Latton: Sean Farmer, Ruairi Ward, Edmund Lennon, Hugh Lennon, Ciaran Lennon, Stephen Fitzpatrick, John O’Brien, Eoin Lennon 0-1, Aidan Farmer 0-1, Noel Coyle, Owen Duffy 0-1, Kevin Hughes, James Connolly 1-0, Hugh McElroy 1-1, Bernard O’Brien.
Magheracloone: Paraic Doogan, Michael Jones, Paul Farnan, Paul Lambe, Peter Tuite, James Ward, Pete Ward, Francis Doogan, Francis Jones, David Freeman, Tomas Freeman 0-3, Paul Jones 0-1, Fintan Kindlon 0-1, Gavin Doogan, Damien Freeman 0-1. Subs: Keith Gilsenan for F Jones. Referee: Darren McQuillan (Castleblayney).

In all six players were suspended as a result, with Magheracloone’s Peter Ward picked up the heaviest penalty of 32 weeks. Damien Freeman was suspended for 16 weeks, his brother Tomas for 8 weeks with fellow club men Francie Doogan and Paul Jones each getting 16 week bans. Kevin Hughes of Latton picked up a sixteen weeks ban. Both clubs were fined €2,000 and disqualified from the competition.

Clontibret were therefore awarded the senior league title in 2007.


Latton GAA Centre

Off the pitch, backed up by a significant fundraising success along with the huge financial endorsement of the local business community, the renovation & erection of an extension to the O’Rahilly Centre commenced under the strict supervision of club chairman Patrick Hamilton and Paul Quinn. They liaised with the local community groups of Latton-Bawn for the provision of up-to-date, safe & secure premises, along with the use of all available man-power. The extension boasts 2 new male & female restrooms, Juvenile changing rooms, gymnasium & fitness suite, Referee & Officials changing room, Equipment store and a state of the art function room, complete with wheelchair-accessible bathroom facilities.

            The renovation of the existing sports hall included the complete replacement of the existing roof, insulation of walls, installing a suspended ceiling, replacement of existing windows with double-glazed units, renewed heating & plumbing system, refurbishment of kitchen & replacement of fire-exits & doors. The new facilities opened its doors on May 25th 2008 for their first official function in the form of the Annual O’Rahilly Dinner Dance. The night honoured the Monaghan & Ulster Ladies Junior Champions making 2007 a memorable year for the O’Rahilly girls. We also celebrated our under-13 McGrane Cup winning team as well as success for the girls U-12 & U-14 teams, the Scoil Mhuire Mini-Sevens and the Scor Ballad Group.



County Senior Champions

Latton 0-15 Carrickmacross 0-11
Hugh McElroy scored 0-7 as Latton overcame a battling Carrickmacross by four points to claim their first Monaghan SFC title in three years at Clones. McElroy’s accuracy from placed balls - he scored 0-6 from frees - was central to Latton’s victory. Overall, the winners were more economical in front of goal and made better use of their possession.
Two early points from Sean Downey gave Carrick a dream start, but Latton were level by the 10th minute thanks to a brace of McElroy frees. The winners hit the front for the first time after 19 minutes, but Carrick fought back to go into the break on level terms, 0-7 each.Andy Callan edged the losers back in front within 30 seconds of the restart, only for Latton to take control with three points in as many minutes. Carrickmacross were a point in arrears and down to 14 men following the dismissal of Declan Finnegan going into the last five minutes, and Latton made the most of their numerical advantage by scoring the last three points per sub James Connolly, Eoin Lennon and Bernard O’Brien to win by four.



Senior CountyFinalists

Clontibret 2-13 Latton 0-9

A five-star display from attacker Conor McManus proved the difference in this year's Monaghan senior football championship final, as Clontibret saw off the challenge of Latton at St Tiernach's Park, Clones. In a match-winning display, the young Monaghan forward scored 1-9 from the left corner, which left Latton licking their wounds and having to hand the Mick Duffy Cup back to their rivals.
Despite the absence of star midfielder Eoin Lennon through injury, the holders had started this game with great promise when three points from Hugh McElroy and a single from Owen Duffy outweighed McManus' first white flag after six minutes.
However, Clontibret came to life after that and bagged their first goal on 20 minutes via a superb solo effort from McManus, which was backed up by Rodney Gorman sending an opportunist's effort to the back of the Latton net for a 2-5 to 0-5 half-time lead.
In the second-half a telling gap began to emerge between the teams, with McManus putting up three more points, two from frees, which Monaghan captain Vincent Corey added to peg Latton back by ten points coming into the final quarter.
McManus made it 11 in the difference with seven minutes remaining, in which time McElroy and Bernard O'Brien pulled back a point each and Eoin Lennon was introduced, but to no avail for the O'Rahillys as Clontibret regained their status as Monaghan champions. It was an outcome that they saw as “restoring the old order” to senior football in Monaghan. Latton were understandably downbeat, and not so much at the result but in losing their title the way they did and not doing themselves justice in the game overall.

Latton manager David Nelson was adamant that the loss of Owen Lennon was a major blow but even then he admitted that his loss did not fully explain Latton's poor performance and that it was the goals that did the damage. "The loss of Owen (Lennon), was a big blow. He got injured in the semi final and he aggravated it in a warm up last week. Fielding short a player like Owen would be a blow to any team and it was a setback to the lads definitely but we seemed to be coping in the early minutes only for it all then to go wrong. The first goal was a bad blow coming at the time it did and against the run of play although I have to say it was a brilliant effort by young McManus, but it unsettled us. And then the second goal was crucial as it was a very bad one to give away and that put us in a tail spin and to be honest we never really recovered after that. It was just one of those days when things were going wrong and there are times when that happens. It just wasn't our day but it certainly was Clontibret's".

The Latton manager agreed that his side had not produced their usual form of making life difficult for opponents. "No we didn't do that today but then some things are unexplainable. That is normally the foundation of our performance. We restricted them to eight points when we met in the championship back in May and we were looking to do the same today but the answers weren't there. It can be a lonely place out on the pitch when things aren't going for you and today there were too many Latton players that it wasn't going for. When that happens there is very little that you can do to turn things around, there isn't a football coach alive who can explain at times why that happens. We prepared diligently, I think the lads would acknowledge that but it just wasn't to be".


Senior League Winners

The senior league final which was played in Corduff produced a stirring encounter between two very evenly matched teams with Latton holding out in a frantic finish and Magheracloone again left to rue missed chances, particularly a penalty by Tomas Freeman in the dying seconds of normal time, leaving them bitterly disappointed and again wondering just what they have to do to get over the line in a final.