History - The Eighties

Mid-eighties Junior & U-16 teams 


Under 21 Champions




Latton 2-09 Rockcorry 1-07


“Hurrah onto the Latton boys, they love the Gaelic still” - so ran the headline of the Northern Standard on Thursday 18th September 1986 as Brendan Smyth reported on the previous Sunday’s Junior Football Championship Final victory of Latton over neighbouring rivals Rockcorry. It was a match to remember at the splendidly laid out Pearse Park Ballybay, referred by Clones man George Neeson.

An eagerly contested clash from the outset, Rockcorry had the benefit of the breeze in the opening half. Mickey Conlon opened the scoring after 2 minutes with a close-in free. Rockcorry continued strongly with a further 3 points before Latton finally opened their scoring in the 23rd minute with a point from Seamus McElroy with a 50 metre free. Lawrence Hand added a further 1-02 before the interval to leave the half-time score Latton 1-03 Rockcorry 0-05.

Rockcorry got off to a great start in the second half with an early goal from Mickey Conlon and a point from Paddy McKeown. Latton, under pressure, saw team manager, Paddy Ward, make what was to be a match-winning move, switching Brendan McElroy from Centre Half Forward to Midfield to partner his brother Seamus. By the 14th minute of the second half the sides were level after an Owen Hamilton point and 2 points from play from Brendan McElroy. A penalty awarded to Rockcorry in the 20th minute looked like opening a gap, but it went wide throwing a lifeline to Latton. A point for ‘Rock’ in the 23rd minute gave them the lead, only to be followed by a Paddy Bates equaliser one minute later.

Tension was mounting on the Ballybay terraces and Latton supporters were jumping with joy as a Laurence Hand point took the lead for the O’Rahillys in the 28th minute. Rockcorry hearts were shattered in the 29th minute when ‘super-sub’ Paddy Lynch got the vital touch to grab a late goal.  Latton rounded off the scoring on the stroke of full time with a point from Brendan McElroy to see them take the McCalden Shield home for the second time.  Team Captain & Man of the Match Seamus McElroy received the elusive presentation from the then County Board Chairman Paraic Duffy. Duffy complemented the Latton club on what was a great year seeing the official opening of their new pitch & Community centre on the 10th of May previous. He concluded by saying “today saw Latton bear the fruits of that great Under-21 success of last year (1985)”.

Latton team:

Patrick Hamilton, Gerry Monaghan, Brendan Fitzpatrick, Tom McDonald, Sean Conlan, Pauric McCabe, Mark Hughes, Kevin Moyna, Seamus McElroy, Jack McElroy, Brendan McElroy, Laurence Hand, Owen Hamilton, Paddy Bates, Tony McPhillips. Subs: PJ McKenna for B Fitzpatrick. Paddy Lynch for T McPhillips.

Rockcorry team:

Terence Reilly, Noel Calvert, Mark McCormick, Gerry McKeown, Kevin Clerkin, Pascal Smyth, Gerry Coyle, Jim Clear, Tom Daly, Kieran Fitzpatrick, Noel McKeown, Kieran McPhillips, Ivan Fitzpatrick, Paddy McKeown, Mickey Conlon. Subs: Denis Maloney for K McPhillips, Paul Fitzpatrick for N Calvert, Owen McConnell for N McKeown.

Scorers :

Latton: Laurence Hand 1-03, Paddy Lynch 1-0, Brendan McElroy 3pts, Seamus McElroy, Owen Hamilton & Paddy Bates 1pt each.

Rockcorry: Mickey Conlon 1-03, Paddy McKeown 3pts, Noel McKeown 1pt.